What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry refers to the range of treatments which restore or improve the appearance of a person’s teeth, gums, bite or smile. Many dental treatments fall into this category, including:
- dental veneers
- tooth-coloured fillings
- teeth whitening
When can cosmetic dentistry help?
These treatments can assist any person wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth and gums and also their dental hygiene. They can help with:
- discoloured or stained teeth
- chipped or misshapen teeth
- crooked teeth or missing teeth
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them
- improving your whole smile
What are the benefits?
The main benefit of cosmetic dentistry is the creation or restoration of an aesthetically pleasing smile.
Additionally, there are other social and health benefits associated with cosmetic dentistry, including:
- an improved psychological outlook and higher self-esteem.
- the reversal of dental problems that were previously a source of embarrassment.
- better oral health because straight teeth are easier to clean and decay is easier to spot on white teeth.
- avoiding the need for more costly dental treatments in the future.
- additional strength and protection against decay.
Dental veneers are wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They bond to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the tooth shape, colour, size and alignment.
Dental veneers can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical, white smile. They can be an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth and mouth.
Find out more: Dental veneers
At our practice, we offer teeth whitening. This is a non-invasive way of lifting stains from the teeth and lightening the colour of the enamel, giving you the appearance of whiter, brighter teeth.
The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for take-home teeth whitening.
Find out more: Teeth whitening
Cosmetic dentistry considerations
Cosmetic dentistry can change your appearance and change your life. However, not all cosmetic dental treatments are appropriate for every person. Importantly, the state of a person’s oral health determines their suitability for cosmetic dentistry. The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability for cosmetic dentistry.