What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers, also known as ‘porcelain veneers’ are shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the appearance of tooth shape, colour, size and alignment.
Have a look at some of our before and after pictures here.
Dental veneers can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical white smile, and are an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of:
- teeth that are discoloured due to root canal treatment, stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or the presence of large resin fillings.
- worn down teeth.
- chipped or broken teeth.
- misaligned, uneven or irregularly shaped teeth.
- teeth with unsightly gaps between them.
Benefits of Dental Veneers
Dental veneers offer cosmetic benefits to people wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth.
- can be fitted during a painless procedure and often without anaesthetic.
- are stain resistant.
- do not require a separate or special cleaning routine.
- can last up to 15 years, depending on the type of veneer selected and how well the veneers are maintained.
- are often less expensive than other dental solutions for improving the appearance of teeth, such as dental crowns and orthodontic braces.
What are Dental onlays?
Dental onlays are pre-moulded tooth restorations made in a dental laboratory. They are made from porcelain which makes them more durable than composite fillings. As opposed to crowns, dental onlays retain more of the tooth structure as they do not cover all surfaces.
Benefits of Dental onlays
Dental onlays are long-lasting restorations that provide the following benefits:
- Attractive cosmetic appearance.
- strengthens tooth structure.
- Bonds to the tooth, allowing an effective seal.
Veneers are not a good choice for individuals who clench and grind their teeth; have unhealthy, weakened teeth; or have an inadequate amount of existing enamel on the tooth surface. The initial appointment with our dentist will confirm your suitability.